Saturday, August 06, 2016

Persistence pays off...

About that Colbert joke,  why we should keep listening to Drive-By Truckers, and remember when Republican rallies were sedate affairs...

Some time back in 2014 ( boy howdy does time pass!) I wrote about my desire to find and install an old style non-electronic VDO Sumlog aboard "So It Goes" and ever since I've been trolling the various forums, bulletin boards, and the dreaded eBay looking for just such a beast.

I won't go into detail on the search but it has been all kinds of frustrating and there were moments when I nearly gave in and just gave up but being stubborn just kept plugging on...

So, let me say this about that... Persistence pays off. Which is why I'm now the proud owner of a brand spanking new (albeit 30-year old) in the original box VDO non-electronic Sumlog which only cost me $100 dollars.

Boy am I a happy camper!

I can finally lose the piece of shit frelling useless Raymarine BiData as well as a couple of holes in the boat. Better yet I can have reasonable expectations of being able to know my current speed through the water and nautical miles traveled at a glance without worrying whether the log and speed will be working.

Did someone say doing the happy dance?

That said, being a belt and braces sort of guy I'll still have  my WASP trailing log  (a wonderful gift from a Boat Bits reader in the UK who knew I was looking for one which I'll be ever thankful for) and a Knotstick if that fails. So, it's safe to say, while I may not have a clue where I'm going I'll be pretty sure how fast I'm getting there.

Listening to the Sons of Champlin

So it goes...