Monday, January 25, 2016

A sorta sharpie concept...

Just a little something you may want to keep in mind, a quick moment of sanity, and I really should go on record that I admire Natalie Maines...

A friend dropped me a line with a link to a newish "sharpie" design and, while it has a lot of sharpie attributes, it pretty much misses the whole idea of what a sharpie is. Well, let's put it this way and say it misses what I think a sharpie is all about.



Sure, it's narrow, shallow, and has that retro look that seems to be coming back but it's a far cry from the workboat origins that make a sharpie what it is.

Being that the boat would be more expensive than our old Loose Moose 2 (I suspect that a single carbon mast from this boat would cost more than a new Loose Moose 2 fully outfitted) and has about the same interior accommodation (or less), I just don't find myself thinking of it as a sharpie.

That said, when folks start designing expensive copies of sharpies or faux-sharpies it tends to signal a certain reappreciation of the sharpie in general which is no bad thing when you take a minute to think about it...

Since we're on the subject of sharpies, whatever happened to that wooden home buildable version of Rodger Martin's Presto 30?

Listening to Me and Molly

So it goes...