Tuesday, January 05, 2016

a couple of quick multihull thoughts...

Some needful reading, a good article on murder rates, and a very interesting proposal...

As most of you are aware, I'm a big fan of Reuel Parker and think that anyone building a boat really needs to have read his "The New Cold-Molded Boatbuilding". Plus his designs are way cool...

Then again, there's this puppy...

...or, as I usually refer to it, the condo from hell. Of course, with modern multihull design and aesthetics being what they are these days, it would fit right in with what's out there. But, one really does expect better from a designer who draws such beautiful boats.

I suspect Mr Parker gave the client exactly what he asked for...

However, if you look closely at the design, I can't help but conjecture that there is a Wharramesque cat crying out to be released from its burden of the bridgedeck monstrosity someone stuck on it's back.

An open bridgedeck with, maybe, a small pod would be less expensive, cheaper/faster to build, and perform a whole lot better as a result. All of a sudden I'm finding this design a lot more interesting the minute the bridgedeck cabin gets left out of the mix.

Offhand, if I were thinking of building something like a Wharram, I'm pretty sure I'd give Parker a call and see what he might come up with the same sort of brief... Which is not to say that I don't like Wharrams (I built a Tiki 31) I do but, as there is a dearth of open bridgedeck cat designs, a little new blood and insight would be no bad thing at all.

Just thinking out loud...

Listening to the Mavericks

So it goes...