- A cubic foot of water weighs 62 pounds
- A cubic foot of concrete weighs 150 pounds
- A cubic foot of iron weighs 491 pounds
- A cubic foot of lead weighs 709 pounds
- A cubic foot of gold weighs 1206 pounds
Case in point: Phil Bolger's take apart three piece schooner that I've often considered building as a non-take-apart boat which has often been on my shortlist for the next Loose Moose. Of course replacing the water ballast with other ballast types would gain a lot more room...
That said, somehow the idea of a 47-foot boat has lost a lot of it's allure for me but would still make a certain kind of sense due to its 1.5-foot draft and enough room and stowage to be able to work on rigging jobs and build self-steering gears/dinghies/surfboards as a nomadic shop/business model.
Listening to Bob Dylan covering Frank Sinatra
So it goes...