Thursday, August 06, 2015

Maybe one hand for yourself and one for the boat just isn't enough...

I'm reading about this sort of shit thing way the frell too often, organize-fight-win, and a cruising perspective I share...

The recent loss of Carly Hill from "Oryx"  has had me reevaluating my entire thought process where MOB situations and two-person crews are concerned. My old thoughts on the subject being mostly centered around the DFOTFB (don't fall off the fucking boat) plan.

Back when we sailed Loose Moose and Loose Moose 2 we were often criticized because neither boat had lifelines (Phil Bolger not being a fan of such things) and I felt that lifelines enabled a false sense of security... Just for the record I still think that lifelines are problematic in this regard but they do make a good place to hang up clothes to dry which they are quite handy for.

On the other hand, I do put a lot (perhaps too much) faith in jacklines and a somewhat obsessive use of harness when the the conditions indicate needful.

The thing is that when Carly Hill went overboard the conditions were reportedly benign...

Accidents happen and just yesterday walking to the store I nearly went ass over teakettle on a sidewalk avoiding a bit of nastiness left over by some errant dog and, as I regained my balance thought to myself how easily accidents happen as a school bus nearly clipped me as it roared past. To be honest, the thought of "It was a dog turd/schoolbus that got him" on my headstone being somewhat tacky also came to mind...

Anyway, I've been thinking quite a bit on the subject and starting to do some serious research in such things as AIS/DSC Personal Locators like this one which seems to make a lot of sense in that it gives the person left behind a proactive means of finding you in the event shit happens.

Listening to Hunter and the Bear

So it goes...