Friday, June 12, 2015

A family oriented sailboat...

Some seriously nasty corporate welfare, a ration of expected stupidity, and an interview of sorts that some folks really need to read...

All of a sudden we're surrounded by Morgan Out Islands. It's like being in the middle of a frelling convention.

While I've never been a big fan of Charlie Morgan's "Out Island" series (I think it has something to do with the look of the bow and the fact that I simply do not like center cockpits) but I'll be the first to admit that they make a lot of sense for someone looking for a big bombproof boat on a budget.

Especially the Out Island 41...


For me the main attraction of the boat is that they were well built and seem to be able to survive even the worst sort of abuse... There's a lot to be said for workboat solid. Better yet, as there were over a thousand built, finding a cheap one that needs a little TLC or a fixer-upper is pretty easy.

That said, the OI-41 is a bit more boat than a couple actually needs but it really is just the sort of thing you might want to stick on your shortlist if you were a family...

Then again, most of the OI-41's I seem to come across are crewed by grumpy retired single guys using them like trawlers so what do I know?

Listening to Carolina Story

So it goes...