Wednesday, February 11, 2015

On not being a true believer...

Pretty much says it all, dumb as a bag of hammers, and in the "paid administrative leave" department...

I apparently cause some folks problems where rigs are concerned. My crime being that I find merit in a lot of different rigs which in today's "there is only one true path" mindset world is considered a heretical sin of a high order.

For example, I don't get on very well with folks enamoured of the junk rig. That being said, I do happen to think junk rig makes a lot of sense and, while I'm a member of the JRA (you really should be as well), I just don't quite fit in because I don't fall into the idea that the junk is the "BEST" rig religious fervor party line. My take on the rig is that it's certainly a good rig and, in some cases a "best" rig for someone's particular circumstance but, like all rigs, it is far from perfect.

The balanced lug rig, which you probably know happens to be my favorite rig and far and away more powerful and cost effective than the junk, is still far from being a perfect rig. I love the rig but I'm not going to embrace the rig with a religious ecstasy that blinds me to it's disadvantages or other rigs good points...

Comparing the two, I have to admit I feel the balanced lug makes more sense if you honestly compare their strengths and weaknesses. But more about that another day...

I could go on with any number of sail types and rigs... gaff, Bermudian, wingsails, etc, which all have their strengths as well as weaknesses, but you get the picture...

The real truth of the matter is all rigs make sense in most situations and not so much in others. Not addressing this fact is counterproductive to getting the most out of whatever rig you happen to have or are thinking about using. The bottom line being that the more you know (spelled s-a-i-l-e-d) about all of the available rigs out there the better off you'll be.

Listening to 6 String Drag

So it goes...