Friday, January 16, 2015

So, I'm at the list making stage...

L,G,&M has an important reminder, G&T wth some thoughts on the current definition of "Good", and some lucid thoughts on why some folks are stupid...

Of late, I've been doing a lot of thinking about the next boat and how I'd fit it out because I need a budget to work with and I need it soonish.

The funny thing is the fit out list in my head is actually pretty short and, as a result, so is the monetary outlay. Partly due to the fact that good marine electronics have actually become quite cheap since the last time I built a boat, partly because I have a much better understanding of the whole need/want thing than I did before, but mostly because having been on boats for so long I've developed an appreciation for simplicity and an aversion for anything on a boat that adds unneedful complexity.

My categories for list triage is pretty basic...

  1. It has to be needful.
  2. I have to be able to fix and maintain it myself or cheap enough that I can afford to back it up.
  3. It's something I don't have to make up reasons or improbable possibilities to justify needing it.
Pretty simple and a lot more effective than you might actually suspect.

Listening to some Country Fried Rock

So it goes...