Monday, March 10, 2014

Some more multihull madness...

Bet you didn't know this about gooseneck barnacles, a thing or two to think about, and something interesting for those who follow the weather...

Everybody's desperate trying to make ends meet
Work all day, still can't pay the price of gasoline and meat
Alas, their lives are incomplete
-Warren Zevon-
Boy, Warren sure got that one right in "Mohammed's Radio" and it seems these days that every time I turn around the price of stuff I need to buy has gone up yet again.

I don't believe I'm overstating the case when I say it's both somewhat stressful and depressing. From a lot of the email I get from readers of Boat Bits and VolksCruiser I guess a lot of you do, too.

I mention this because the other day I wrote how cool the new Gunboat G4 was and quite a few readers thought I'd lost my mind...

Well, I'd like to assure folks that yes, there was method to my madness about the G4 and, for the record, I've been off-the-rails since way back in the 70's. So, while I might be mad as a hatter, it's just the business-as-usual sort so nothing to be alarmed about.

But, about that rich man's toy and penis substitute Gunboat G4...

It really is a good design. There are some excellent out-of-the-box ideas there that we should not be disdainful of and treat them the way most yacht designers deal with good ideas by people other than themselves... Which would be to purloin, steal, loot, appropriate, and rip off anything that's not nailed down. Hey, it's what good designers do best. Of course, what happens when talented boat (we filch ideas too) builders and designers of sailboats do their thing? Well... things get better.

Evolution rather than stasis if you will...

There's no reason that someone shouldn't jump off with some good HOT ideas from the G4, adapt them to a plywood epoxy composite construction, add a bit of common sense of the fiscal variety, and come up with an affordable cruising boat that could sail rings around your average Leopard or its ilk as they motor or motorsail from place to place...

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to a a rather cunning plan for cold molding ply-epoxy-carbon curved foils and dagger board boxes on a budget for something of a scowish nature...

Listening to Warren of course

So it goes...