Monday, March 31, 2014

A little less clutter in the cockpit...

How “Fossils tell us about our past”, the downsides of subcontracting as a business model, and why you might want to pass on gulf seafood...

The display on my somewhat elderly Garmin 182 is toast.

Truth is I never much liked the damn thing and, while I'm sure it was just the thing for someone with a center console runabout, it just never quite fit anyplace in my cockpit where it was not in the way, hard to see, or both.

Plus its night illumination seemed to have two unlimited adjustability modes... Too bright (as in you could use it as a lighthouse beacon) and black (as the sin in what passes for Dick Cheney's heart). So, it either blinded you or might as well not been there at all...

The nice thing is that now that it has shed its mortal coil I can now return to the state of grace of not having a chart plotter in the cockpit to fixate on during long watch sessions and I'll be steering better as a result.

Listening to John Sebastian

So it goes...