Thursday, March 06, 2014

A French camera designer and cruising budgets...

A letter of note, musing on a steampunk future, and about one of the lucky ones...

A blog I enjoy and admire has been talking budgets and maintainence of late and just about everything they're saying makes sense so well worth a read...

For me the whole budget thing is colored by something the great motion picture camera designer, Raoul Coutard, said when someone asked him how to design a hand holdable self-blimped camera...

"First, you start with a quiet camera."
Over the years I've found this bit of logic adaptable to most things in my life because it simply tells you to look at the core of the problem first. Sadly, a very unpopular method these days...

But, I suppose, we're talking about budgets so to adapt Coutard's thought process to cruising and boats...
"First, you start with an inexpensive boat with simple systems"
Need I say more?

Listening to the Rascals

So it goes...