Saturday, February 15, 2014

avoiding stasis...

Some excellent news, good to know, and  in the priorities department $1 Billion might sound like a lot until you realize the winter Olympics are costing $50+ Billion...

The other day, while doing some sanding, I had one of those moments of timewarp where something you're doing transports you to a moment in the past where you were doing the same thing, listening to the same music, or smelling the same smell.

The time slice in question was when I was preparing the deck of Loose Moose 2 for its nonskid. Hardly a romantic moment but, at the time, it was a needful task. As we'd decided to go with Phil Bolger's suggestion of not having lifelines aboard LM2, it was something that I'd given a certain amount of thought to as applying non skid would make adding stanchions later problematic...

Back in the present I realized just how little of the agonizing do-I-don't-I-because-I need-to-have-everything-perfect-and-approved-by-my-peers thought process I'd put into previous boats and voyages. I suppose I'm just more of a weigh-the-available-pros-and-cons-and-just-do-the-damn-thing sort.

Back then I'm pretty sure I was the norm but today not so much. It's a different world and not really for the better if you care to register my opinion. It's far too easy to get caught in the spiral of over thinking and find yourself in an inescapable stasis of your own making.

Which is not to say I have not made my share of mistakes and wrong decisions in the process but in my defense I've so far survived them all...

Listening to Jerry Riopelle

So it goes...