Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Getting comfortable outside your comfort zone...

Something we all need to keep in mind, a teachable moment, and this makes my head hurt...

Not to get philosophical but most of the best things in my life were a result of less than perfect decisions. Some might even call them mistakes. I'll be honest, I've made a lot of mistakes in my life but almost every single one of them has led me to great things and wonderful people who'd I have never come across if I had played it safe and not taken any chances.

John Stewart wrote a song entitled "Strange Rivers" and part of the lyric kind of says it all as far as I'm concerned...

"... Did you ever turn the corner
And you wondered why you did
'Cause you haven't been that way, now
Since you were just a kid
And nothing really happened
But then you've got to say
That you wonder what would've happened
Had you gone the other way..."



Comfort zones are... well, comfortable and surprise free but I remember when surprises were a good thing and a diet of the same old same was B-O-R-I-N-G.

Of course, getting out of your comfort zone you might find things can get a little messy and are not as homogenized/sanitized as, apparently, a great many people these days seem to require in the 2014 version of what constitutes cruising on a sailboat...

On the other hand, you just might find that sailing to the wrong place at the right time opens a whole world of wonderfulness you'd have missed by staying in your comfort zone.

Listening to Kacey Musgraves

So it goes...