Friday, October 04, 2013

on screwing up and education...

Petty people with lots of money, let's talk about the odds, and the stupid it burns...

I get stuff wrong all the time. In my defense, a lot of my mistakes are made with all of the best intentions...

For instance, the reason our old boat "Loose Moose 2" was a scow (of sorts) was because I told Phil Bolger that the boat could not be any longer than 11.49 meters because at the time in Europe the cost of marina rates jumped at 11.50M. Where I got it wrong was we pretty much never ever stopped at marinas as we preferred to anchor so, in hindsight, Loose Moose 2 could easily have been a few feet longer with zero impact on our frugal cruising budget.

I could catalog lots of other seemed-like-a-good-idea-at-the-time adventures in boatbuilding and cruising where I screwed up but that would deprive you, dear reader, of all the fun and frolic of getting stuff ass-backwards and learning stuff in the process. Truth be told, no one really wants to listen to my advice anyway.

I will offer one observation though and that's 99.99% of the time if I'm throwing money at something I'm usually making a hellacious mistake I'll be really pissed about when the dust settles...

Listening to Grace Potter and the Nocturnals

So it goes...