Friday, July 12, 2013

A conundrum...

Well this certainly puts stuff in perspective, needful reading, and something from the Archdruid...

A large proportion of folks who read Boat Bits don't know how to sail and to say I find this surprising is something of an understatement.

Why the hell not?

Of course, those folks also seem to have decided that the sailing/cruising life is for them and they plan to sail off into the sunset... Many  of them are actually making plans and looking for boats to buy.

See anything wrong with this picture so far?

I'm lucky... I grew up on the water and learning to swim, row, sail, and surf were just part of growing up. Though, I should add that my parents insisted that I actually take proper swimming lessons, get my dive certification, and take what seemed like every boat safety, navigation, or sailing class that popped up on the parental radar.

You know what? Taking classes really, really helps you learn stuff.

Really.

But, the thing is, while I'm a huge proponent of sailing off into the sunset, I think I really should say that, well, you know... learning how to sail might be a good move before you decide what boat to buy, which watermaker to install, or spend months agonizing over whether SSB or Satphone is the route to go for onboard communications. Cart before the horse and all that...

That being the case, I should add that what passes for sailing education these days is somewhat problematic at best but I think we'll talk about that mañana...

Listening to The Persuasions

So it goes...