Wednesday, June 19, 2013

That ongoing waterline thang...

Groupers on Prozac, how minimum wage is getting more minimum, and a new canal...

Do you like to buy stuff?

Me, not so much, but I really, really enjoy getting rid of stuff. For instance, yesterday I took a couple of kayak seats and a drill I don't use and dropped them off at Budget Marine in St Croix where they have a consignment table. That simple act, had me doing the happy dance all the way home!

Maybe it's because I read "The Riddle of the Sands" at an early age and the episode where Davies throws his old #3 Rippingill stove overboard ruined me for the modern consumer culture forever after... Maybe not, but it's a theory.

Whatever the reason, I do find a real satisfaction in getting rid of gear not earning its keep or surplus to requirements that I don't get acquiring new and shiny gear. Which is not to say I don't like buying stuff but new and shiny does not have the same sort of appeal as old, affordable, and serviceable...

Listening to Beau Jocque and the Zydeco Hi-Rollers

So it goes...