Sunday, June 02, 2013

method to my madness...

Interesting numbers, in the "they must be doing something right" department, and some kind of seriously sweet...

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned before that John Muir's revolutionary tome on repairing the lowly VW is one of the most important books published in the last fifty years or so.

I've always wondered what would have happened if John Muir had been a man into sailing or cruising...

Once, when we were in the Canaries, someone gave me a how to build a fridge for the boat article which had a very John Muirish vibe and details right down to which socket size to use to salvage parts from junkyard car air conditioner systems... No thinking required!

I loved it!

John Muir's process lends itself to repairing engines or building something specific out of parts like a fridge unit or a watermaker. That said, what it does not do is kick the thought process in.

Which is one of the reasons I'm not big on doing blow-by-blow descriptions of projects I do. What I like to do is throw out that I'm doing something and some hints as to how I'm doing it so you're aware it can be done but not enough so you don't have to think through the process. The idea being, just maybe, that you'll come up with an even better way to do it for your own needs.

Listening to Dexys Midnight Runners

So it goes...