Saturday, June 22, 2013

and I was not kidding with the Superbrick...

Just maybe the most depressing news story I've read all year, this was pretty much expected (though they should be giving the guy a medal), and could this be the new profitable trend for marinas...

For those who wrote yesterday to point out that the Superbrick was a box and not a proper boat you might be surprised that I actually have heard this before and my opinion is that it very much is a "proper" boat. Albeit a boat you're not going to win any races with.

Would I, say, cross the Atlantic in one? Sure I would... The Superbrick will get you from one side to the other just like a CAL 20 or any of Sven Yrvinds various micro boats. Built right and sailed correctly, it would do it a lot more comfortably.

Comfort, of course, being a rather subjective subject in very small boats...

That said, the Superbrick has, more or less, everything you need and more of most peoples "wants" than a lot of bigger boats. It deserves some serious study and it has its own chapter in "Boats With An Open Mind" which would be the logical place to start.

The real reason I'd be tempted to build one and cruise it for a while is it'd be fun to be able to watch peoples heads explode on a regular basis.

Listening to Great Big Sea

So it goes...