Sunday, May 05, 2013

Stuff we use...

Some "Ag-Gag" with your morning coffee, where oh where are the perp walks, and something about medical extortion...

I came across this commercial the other day...



I don't know about you but that commercial left me thinking about the need for a waterproof bulkhead rather than how cool the watch was...

Breitling certainly has a great idea of a PLB as part of a watch but the damn thing costs more than my boat. I can't help but wonder just how long that PLB circuit is going to run off the watch's power system... But yeah, that would be a cool watch to own and yes, I want one!

Aboard "So It Goes" we don't really do "want". We do things that fill a need. So I use a cheap (less than $20) Casio watch which works just fine with the one exception that it is somewhat hard to see at night as the luminous hands are anything but. That said, I've noticed most analog watches (even some super expensive ones) these days seem to share the same problem.


As for the whole PLB/EPIRB thing, I have some serious issues with the idea of asking people I don't know to put their lives on the line to come save my butt. So, in general, my thought process is to invest money on things and systems that help avoid situations where I'm in a position to need rescue rather than making dialing 911 easier.
With that in mind our choice of a SPOT and a couple of Kannad Safelink PLBs pretty much fill the bill...
Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a waterproof bulkhead project to sort out...

Listening to Zappa/Mothers/Flo & Eddie

So it goes...