Saturday, April 06, 2013

Hey Bo Diddley...

Read and wonder, threatened folks with guns, and a truly great loss...

Most people have a picture in their head that says "boat". It might be a Swan, maybe an IOR racer, or a catamaran.

For me, it has never quite been that simple because I have overfilled file cabinets of pictures of boats of every shape and description. I don't actually have a "proper boat" image floating around because in the world I inhabit any boat might be the proper boat in the right context.

Where boats are concerned it is all about function and the ability to do the job needed...

Of late, this boat has been on the top of my mental pile...


Partly because I'm somewhat obsessed with scows and partly because the designer is in the process of actually building the prototype and sharing the process through photos with us on his website. Truth is, it's not often you get to see a designer of boats actually building one...

The SKROWL is an interesting design and certainly deserves some study if only for the fact that it does not look anything like what most people think a "proper boat" should look like. Its design and construction has a lot to teach if you pay attention.

So yeah, I'm paying attention...

Sadly though, most folks are going to say to themselves that does not look like a boat at all and go back to that Swan in their head.

It's pretty much the same in most things... Even guitars where if you say "electric guitar" 80% of folks will have a picture of a Stratocaster pop into their head. As it happens, I've never been much of a Strat kind a guy and, as much as I admire Leo Fender, the guitars that pop into my head are anything but Strats...



Listening to Bo Diddley



So it goes...