Sunday, March 24, 2013

He came dancing across the water...

This, while expected, is not good news, the fair tiered justice system in the US of A, and you know they already have my signature but what about yours...

Yesterday I was listening to a bunch of cover versions of Neil Young's "Cortez the Killer" (I count eight different tracks on my iTunes and I expect there are a couple others floating around as well) and no two ways about it, it's a great song. So I can understand why a lot of people want to cover it...

But good covers always bring something new to the song whether it be a radical new interpretation or just a slight off kilter tweak... Clone covers, on the other hand, no matter how well done, always come up being less, empty, and depressing... you have to wonder why they bothered.

I mention this because designers of sailboats could learn a lot about not doing the same old same by listening to how a singer or band can take a song and make it their own...

Especially those guys designing cats...

Listening to the Kingston Trio do a much covered song

So it goes...