Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Better, best, bestest...

A couple good points, something to keep in mind, and about those makers and takers...

Pretty much everything on my boat works. Now, I mention this because people keep writing in asking my opinion on products because they want to find the better or best stuff. The problem is that I don't think better or best actually works around sailboats. I'm more a whether stuff works or doesn't work kind of guy.

Anchors are a good example... I have four anchors aboard "So It Goes" two Brittany anchors (20KG & 15KG) and a couple of fisherman folding stock sort. I use them because they work and can't actually see how they can work "better" because they do everything an anchor is supposed to do and if they did not I wouldn't be using them.

Fact is, I can't actually see how another anchor could be better unless maybe it made water, washed the dishes, did laundry, or took out the trash when needful and I expect I'd be the first guy in line to buy a new Spade/Manson/Rocna when they have such features... But, until they do, I'll keep using what has worked and continues to work for us without issues.

Actually, the whole better, best, and bestest thing has very little to do with being better but it's just a simple tool of folks trying to sell you stuff. Not unlike the fact that all of the cat food we buy Willow and Buffy seems to come with a "Now with new better flavor" or somesuch variant emblazoned on the package and judging from our rather gourmand cats reaction to such things...

"Dude, it's just the same old same..."
Listening to Little Feat

So it goes...