Monday, October 29, 2012

We may not have jet packs but we can choose our reality...

About those oh-so-needful x-ray scanners, something worth reading regarding copyright, and a manifesto of interest...

It occurred to me the other day that we're living in a very different world than I was looking forward to. Look, I've made peace with the fact that I don't have a jet pack and never will... Sure, I'm a little bummed but I'm a grown man and I can deal with it.

On the other hand, what I am having more than a little trouble dealing with is how mean things have become. The other day when we were trying to deal with our internet provider to sort out certain issues with the fact that their system does not work most of the time (for those who have noticed the fact that there are less Boat Bits posts and wondered why the combination of horrible internet access combined with Blogger becoming seriously problematic at best is the answer) and our service rep said something that has been going around in my mind ever since...

"You have to realize you're no longer in our reality"

Their reality, of course, is all about profit... Which is why they charge us $60 a month so we can get our email and file the daily blog post. They, in fact, are really good about collecting that money as it happens but not so good at actually providing the service they're selling. When we point out the fact that the service is getting worse with less access points and slow/throttled speeds we're told that our sort of user (WIFI) simply no longer count as we're too small a group to service as we no longer provide enough profit... So, POOF we're no longer part of their reality...

Well, except for the fact that they still market their wifi services as every morning I have to listen to their advertisements on the radio which tell me how awesome it is and they still charge us for the service (as my monthly credit card statement attests). So, in point of fact, I'd say we are very much part of their "reality" but they've simply opted out of their responsibilities and blame us because we're simply not providing enough profit but, being greedy, they are not willing to simply cut a revenue stream...

The fact is, I keep seeing this sort of mindset everywhere especially in the marine industry... From the haulout yard, to the local marine store and marine tradesmen the opting out of providing decent service because we are not in their new mega-yacht reality.

That said, the whole reality changing gig done the right way can be a powerful tool... You want a VolksCruiser sailing/cruising experience and lifestyle on a blue collar budget all you have to do is click your heels and say to yourself ...

"This reality sucks and I want my life back"

Then you face into the the wind and utter the magic words...

"Hey hey Gardner McKay" (the "Hey hey" isn't needful but does add flair...)

Then you simply get to doing...


Rant over.

Listening to Crazy Horse

So it goes...