Saturday, May 19, 2012

If it was 100% fun everybody'd be doing it...

Someone who has a clue about how capitalism should work, why the death penalty should be scrapped, and why we're not hearing more about this book...

I have a brand new fly rod and reel I'd love to be fishing with...

So, here's the thing, most people don't get about the whole DIY boating gig... It's hard work!

Now, I'm not adverse to hard work or even a LOT of hard work from time to time but having an unused new rod and reel while six-foot tarpon cavort just a few minutes row away does underline that, sometimes, work gets in the way of the fun factor.

There is also a frustration factor... Currently I have a generator issue that is driving me nuts. I've lost track of how many times I've taken it apart and the words  GAS, AIR, SPARK, once a mantra, have become my current swear words of choice. Truth is, I'd love to heave the thing overboard and simply just buy a new one. Of course, a new one will have it's own foibles and I'd simply be exchanging one set of problems/issues for another but that's how we all feel when projects don't quite work out like they should. One thing my dad told me that is spot on is "You can't buy a trouble-free life"...

On the other hand, I could be working for idiots in a cubicle somewhere doing the "Office Space" gig as a wage slave and not working on this 大象爆炸式的拉肚子 generator...

Sometimes I think about that and, you know, all of a sudden pain-in-the-ass boat projects, things that break, and all the hassle/frustration factor that is cheap-seats cruising all seems a whole lot less problematic.

Point of fact: the tarpon will still be there tomorrow (or even next week) and making that first cast will be even sweeter because I nailed whatever the mystery problem on the generator happens to be...

Listening to Dave Mason

So it goes...