Saturday, March 03, 2012

A book you may want to read...

Another day in GA and the US of A in the war against free speech, when cubicle-jockey’s become pirates, and what some people think...

Back in the days when I worked at a chandlers in St Thomas, Fatty Goodlander was a regular visitor. You'll note I did not use the word "client" as Fatty was never big on spending money...

Which is not to say, from time to time, he did not actually buy something or other but for the life of me I don't ever remember seeing him take out his wallet and pass money over the counter.

Which is why Fatty writing a book about getting a boat, outfitting, and sailing it makes all kinds of sense...

Fatty has considerable street cred on the subject... He's just finished his second circumnavigation on his Hughes 38' "Wild Card" (a hurricane damaged boat he bought for $3000 in the aftermath of Hurricane Hugo) so you might say he walks the talk.

For those looking for a well found boat, I should add that last I heard "Wild Card" is for sale and Fatty is asking just shy of $40K for it which puts rest to the idea that rehabbing an old plastic boat and sailing it off into the sunset (and two circumnavigations) is a money losing proposition.

While "Buy, Outfit, and Sail" is about putting together a cruising boat and cruising it on the cheap, it is not about "cheap" cruising as most people think of it. One thing I know about Fatty is he enjoys life and his creature comforts, just doesn't like to pay silly money to have them.

Need I say more?

Listening to Dwight Yoakam

So it goes...