Sunday, March 25, 2012

The 48-hour blues...

L,G, & M makes a valid point, instant replay vs etch-a-sketch, and some music for a Sunday...

A friend is off sailing and he's having something of a steep learning curve in regards to finding his rhythm. I feel his pain because the first 48-hours of any passage are always difficult for me... I'm sleepy on watch but can't sleep when I try to, food is unappealing, and I'm simply not in sync with the boat. The only good thing I can say about the first couple of days is I don't get seasick...

Which might be why, when all is said and done, I prefer long passages to short ones because passages in that 48-hour window are never exactly fun.

After the 48-hour mark thing fall together, the watch system begins to feel natural, eating becomes enjoyable, and every little squeak and groan of the boat no longer sets off "Danger Will Robinson" sirens in my head.

Better yet, all of a sudden I get a certain clarity in my thinking that only the exclusion of shore bound strife and stress can bring...

Listening to France Gall

So it goes...