Saturday, February 25, 2012

Firing up the need/want calculator...

Now here's a thought, something you might want to consider, and in the seems fair to me department...

I know I tend to go off on anti-consumerism rants from time to time but that does not mean that I don't actually admit that sometimes you just have to buy stuff...

The key is whether you are buying something you actually need or just want.

As it happens, aboard "So It Goes", we've been putting a couple of tools through the need/want calculator...

One tool I've been wanting for a while is a very small circular trim saw as my DeWalt is way past its sell by date. I've had something of a sea change regarding battery powered hand tools and since I have no working DeWalt batteries aboard and new batteries would cost more than a new corded saw, you can see why this saw is appealing....


Of course, with only a three-inch blade this saw is not the tool of choice for ripping 2" X 4" stock but it is hell-on-wheels for plywood of 7/8" on down... Better yet, the 3" blade is small enough that cutting curves of the sort found on dinghies, surfboards and general boat joinery is a cakewalk.

Lastly, it makes the whole stowage of most used power tools a lot less problematic. I can now fit my power tools in one medium sized bag which goes a long way to making things more accessible and, as a result, easier to actually do the needful work at hand.

So, when all is said and done, the new circular saw passes the need/want litmus test!

Another tool I really really want is a small bench grinder which would be incredibly handy for most of those stainless jobs that require fabrication and the requisite polishing in its aftermath... The problem is, even the smallest stationary tool becomes seriously problematic to the Nth degree as far as storing it away. When I add up the pros and cons, it becomes obvious that while I certainly want a grinder/polisher and it would be handy, I just would not use it enough to make it a worthwhile investment. My old angle grinder, sander, and electric drill pretty much do the needful so I don't actually need one... Bummer!

Listening to Sister Hazel

So it goes