Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The downside of not having a captain aboard...

I guess the great state of Wyoming is no longer looking for an aircraft carrier to buy, today's phrase of interest is "retreat mining", and Dave Z over at Trilo Boat goes all power to the people on your ass...

In a political sense, we aboard "So It Goes" are something akin to a real democracy... Which, I might add, is not always considered a good thing on a boat as most folk are more comfortable with the whole Captain as God/Dictator model and the view that someone in charge who pees into a cup keeps stuff like this from happening...


Which, I might add, did not work in this "It was one of those freaky things,” case.

The thing is, while we do not always agree on stuff aboard "So It Goes", we have never ever ran up onto a known island at speed, so I'm thinking democracy sorta/kinda works.

That said, sometimes, especially in the democratic need/want discussions we have aboard, I find myself wishing that just for a little bit I had that power to play captain and just go out and do something really stupid and get something for the boat without running it through the often convoluted decision-making process that is the democratic way aboard "So It Goes"...

Case in point, in the ever growing musical arsenal aboard, I've felt the need to add a Theremin and the other day when I found a very, very cool Theremin and, in spite of my comrade crew being generally receptive to electronic musical instruments, I got voted down...


Bummer!

Makes you want to find a cup and start peeing into it...

Listening to The Bonzo Dog Band (played on a Theremin built into an artificial leg!)

So it goes...