Friday, February 17, 2012

A book well worth reading...

About growing things on boats, this does not make me feel safe about flying, and a non-fiction graphic novel I'll be reading...

One of my favorite magazines is Mountain Gazette and I've been a reader for my entire adult life... Which, admittedly, dates both me and the magazine. I mention this because when I see in a press release or blurb for a book that an author has written for Mountain Gazette I'm pretty sure it is a book I'm going to want to read.

Case in point, "The Man Who Quit Money"...

I'd read Mark Sundeen in MG as well as a couple of other venues so knew he has some solid chops in the writing department.

"The Man Who Quit Money" is about a guy who walked away from his life savings...

OK, I'll admit, walking away from a life savings is something of a hook but not quite a slam dunk.

"In 2000, Daniel Suelo left his life savings-all thirty dollars of it-in a phone booth."

Yep, the fact that his life savings was a mere thirty dollars firmly set the hook... In my thinking, walking away from $30 is a lot harder than walking away from a fortune, as $30 is real money, your next meal, certainly more real than number on a bank statement.


Someone who walks away from it all and leaves it for some unsuspecting person who needs to make a phone call... Well now, that is someone I want to know more about.

Listening to The Mighty Mighty Bosstones

So it goes...