Friday, November 11, 2011

Two interesting designs...

A glimpse of the future, B of A getting richer, and in the wake of Veterans Day, what the troops find when they come home...

One designer I keep an eye on is Tad Roberts... He first caught my attention in the 80's with his scow "Harry" and every time I visit his site I find something cool.

For instance, last night I found myself looking at the current incarnation of his Harry design and a sixty-foot cargo schooner in steel.



The cargo schooner really appeals. My "Spidey" sense tells me that the days of working sail is going to come back in a big way sooner rather than later (though not as the media and experts would lead you to believe) and even though it is a design made of steel (never my chosen material to build with) it makes a lot of sense.


The new Harry on the other hand, sports a balanced lug rig, is plywood, and a scow... What's not to love? Sure I know I go on about how the Balanced Lug is easily the best rig and most bang for the buck you'll be able to find for a cruising boat but very few designers are brave enough to actually design a cruising boat sporting one no matter how much better it is because the status quo is, after all, the status quo.

Listening to Redbone

So it goes...