Thursday, November 17, 2011

Been reading...

The word for the day is contagion, the offer still stands, and a great site for those who want to live on the water...

So, I've been doing the Kindle thing and you might say I'm a happy camper... E-Books really do rock. The new Joe Pike novel was just as good in e-book form as ink on paper...

The downside is there is not exactly a cornucopia of marine design and boat building books but, I'm guessing, it's early days and the marine publishing industry will catch up to the fact that it is nearly 2012.

That said, I've already got growing bookshelf within my Kindle that is labeled Boat... Starting with Phil Bolger's "Boats With an Open Mind" which is actually better than the print version as the plans in the books seem to have a much better resolution.

Of course, my library would never be complete without Dynamite Payson's "Build the "New Instant Boats" and "Instant Boatbuilding with Dynamite Payson" (you never know when the urge to build a new dinghy might arise) and my go to book on junk rigging... No boatbuilding bookshelf would be complete without George Buehler's "Buehler's Backyard Boatbuilding" or Reuel Parker's "The New Cold-Molded Boatbuilding", which sadly are not yet available for Kindle but "The Troller Yacht Book: How To Cross Oceans Without Getting Wet Or Going Broke" is... So there is hope!  

As I keep having thoughts on the dinghy front and recently saw a good deal on Kevlar, "Building Your Kevlar Canoe" seemed like a no-brainer as did "Building Outrigger Sailing Canoes". Can you detect a cunning plan in my future?

Listening to Ryan Bingham

So it goes...