Saturday, September 03, 2011

My dinghy dilemma and the the quest for perfection...

Steal $50 you go to jail but defraud the government of 100 million and you get a fine, a note to the President, and, since it's Labor Day weekend in a 0% job growth month, something to think about while you eat your Hershey Kisses...

It really is a beautiful day down here in the Caribbean, we have the anchorage to ourselves, Hurricane Katia is someone else's problem, and I have a little boat work to do before going shopping... Life is good.

Of course, some say it could be better. Recently it has been pointed out to me that I don't have the perfect dinghy and the shame of such an affront to the cruising community hangs like a deep dark shadow over my usual good time...

I do, however, admit to being just a little confused, as while I have carried the shame for a couple of years now of not having the perfect dinghy, my understanding has been that if there was a certainty in life it was that a RIB with a 15HP engine was not a perfect dinghy "pour moi"! In my world view the perfect dinghy rows...

Face it, it really all depends on who you are and the style of cruising you choose to adopt that makes the whole idea of a "perfect" anything around boats a bit problematic. In my case, I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere so the need for a 15HP or larger motor instead of my 5HP is not exactly enticing and the amazing amount of money I've saved since swapping our 15HP for a 5HP non-gas-guzzling replacement has me thinking that a 3HP might be even better. A Mirage drive would be best of all if only someone would design the boat that could handle cruising loads to use it... a Deckster Grande if you will!

Then again, we have been doing this gig for so long that when we started lots of folks did not even have outboards and dinghies actually had oars (what a thought). Those who did, tended to have outboards akin to the Seagull (the internal combustion equivalent of Chinese water torture) so maybe that accounts for my non-motorhead mindset and bias.

Maybe not... maybe it's simply that not going fast or needing to is all part of the lifestyle I want cruising to be for me and I'm more than happy to leave jetting around the anchorage in a hurry to those guys in the "live slow, sail fast" t-shirts.

Listening to Leslie and the Badgers

So it goes...