Saturday, September 10, 2011

How stupid do they think we are, ongoing...

I just spent the better part of my morning sorting out a cats cradle of anchor line under an acquaintance's boat and to quote the much missed Warren Zevon...

"and it ain't that pretty at all"

Made worse by the fact that he'd deployed a second anchor for Tropical Storm Irene and it has been tying itself in knots with his mooring for the duration, and to redeploy the anchor somewhere it might actually do him some good meant separating the rode from the mooring tackle on the bottom was something of a thankless task, but at least (for future reference I'm sure) it did give me the practice and knowledge that I could untie two and a half knots while threading a long rode through chain at a depth of twenty feet before I had to hit the surface for some air before doing it again, again, and yet again... After fifty free dives this morning I've got it down to something of a science.

So you might say that after spending my morning sorting out someone else's clusterfuck I'm not feeling particularly charitable with this morning's note on a new product from Colligo...

Now a while back, I pointed out that a certain sailing boutique was selling Dyneema sewn slings for daylight robbery prices and that folks might consider buying the same thing from other sources who are content with a reasonable profit and not gouging.

So you might understand why I'm not really impressed when someone comes out with a "grommet" (a spliced loop of rope in nautical parlance) with a trendy name of six-inch diameter in Dyneema for $37.33 when you can buy a sewn sling in Dyneema for less than ten bucks.

Of course, a sewn sling is is not exactly the same thing as a grommet... For example, a grommet should be less expensive and as it's a splice all you really need to do is to learn the splice, get some rope, make them yourself, and turn your back on silly prices forever.

Think about it...

Listening to Flogging Molly

So it goes...