Sunday, August 28, 2011

a thought or two on bargain hunting...

A different kind of Security Theater, looking into what makes an LED light tick, and boy am I in the wrong business (anyone know where I can pick up a Bris knife?)...

I've been meaning to get a second sextant for "So It Goes" and had been planning to buy one of the cheap Davis Mark 3's (it does the job). Being Mr Cheapseats, I just don't see a pressing need to spend $800 or so when something for $50 does the job.

Which is not to say a nicer sextant would go unappreciated, as we do like fine tools aboard "So It Goes" but we appreciate function and value just as much... So, if the Mark 3 does the needful why spend more?

Now, on the other hand, if you could get it for even less...

You may have gathered if you are a regular reader here, that while I hate spending more than is needful, nothing brightens up my day when I find myself spending less!

Which is why I'm so happy with my new sextant, a Davis Mark 15 which retails around $200 but I lucked out and found it at the local animal shelter thrift shop for $10... Even better, it included a new set of dividers and parallel rules along with a cruising guide to the Leeward Islands and a handful of other useful nautical bric-a-brac...

I mention this rather tasty score because too many boat folk throw money around like the proverbial drunken sailor. As a result, are too often impressed by new and shiny expensive toys when what they actually need might be lurking at the garage sale down the block, flea market at the marina, or that thrift shop that helps care for unwanted puppies and kittens...

Just have to keep your eyes open!

Listening to Spirit

So it goes...