Thursday, June 16, 2011

Tools that work in the zombie apocalypse...

Progress is a wonderful thing and I appreciate it as much as the next guy... But, every once in awhile it is no bad thing to spend a few moments thinking "old school".

Here's a question... Where are you going to get your cordless tools serviced or replaced during the late stage zombie apocalypse?

I'm currently having something of a difficult time with my DeWalt batteries as they simply will not hold a charge. As a result, I'm in the market for a new cordless circular saw and a drill/driver. To be honest, I'm just a little sad that my over a decade long relationship with DeWalt is about at an end. At the moment I don't have a clue what will be replacing the DeWalts in my tool bag but the ongoing breakup has given me ample time to reflect on just how we use tools aboard boats...

The thing is, yesterday's version of the modern cordless drill/driver is still around and works so well. I remember, way back when, I resisted the lure of cordless electric tools because nothing available at the time worked nearly as well as your basic brace and bit.

A brace and bit used as a screwdriver develops an amazing amount of power and having planked up the side of a 90-foot hull driving a couple of thousand bronze six-inch screws in the process hardly even raised a sweat...

Of course, nothing beats a brace for boring holes in wood projects with an auger bit, and unlike the spade bit must folks use, they are not dependent on a speed threshold and a full battery not to screw up a project.

Since I'm pimping old style tools, I should also point out that 99% of drilling needs on a sailboat's various and sundry projects, can be done just as well with a good egg-beater style hand drill in place of a cordless, and they always work!

So, while I do plan on replacing my DeWalts soonish, I am not in any great hurry as I've come back to realizing that the brace and bit makes as much sense and I don't have to begin my day making sure my batteries are charged or have to stop a project in full momentum because I've used up all my batteries...

Listening to the Chambers Brothers

So it goes...