Saturday, June 18, 2011

Silly expensive or cheap stuff that works?

S.V. Estrellita is becoming quite the resource for budget info, one of my favorite aid groups Waves for Water could use the cruising community's support, and L38 says some important stuff about Mexico, the US of A and economies (warning if you are a teabagger it will make your head explode)...

Just a second while I savor the mental picture of heads exploding...

Today's project list involves moving some winches around and servicing them while I'm at it. I actually like stripping down a winch and keeping them working at their best. Partly because I can sit in the cockpit while I do it and listen to music on my Shuffle as the world goes by and partly because a well lubricated winch makes sailing a lot less work...

Now some folks will tell you that you have to use a super expensive winch grease to get the most out of your winch while others say that you can use old bacon drippings... Me, I take the middle route and use a cheap grease designed for boat trailers because it works just as well if not better than the silly expensive "winch grease" . A $5 can will last you till the price of gas comes down to a dollar a gallon and that my friends, is a long, long time...


Listening to Laura Love

So it goes...