Thursday, June 30, 2011

On saving money while avoiding toe fungus...

LitBrit shares a thought, Fabulously Jinxed makes a point, and Mountain Gazette goes heretic...

Talking to a friend the other day, I realized that the last time we had been in a marina was in the Canaries a whole bunch of years ago. There are actually a couple of reasons for this.

One, and this might surprise you, I'm sort of cheap. Being cheap means that paying for stuff that is un-needful is something of a no-no...

The second reason is that I have yet to stay at a marina where I found the experience enjoyable... Sure showers that run forever are kinda cool but being shoehorned in between boats, facing in a direction that defies any attempt at ventilating the boat without going out and buying an air conditioner, and having to listen to your neighbors squabble about this and that. Well, it is just not a happy-making experience in my world...

Of course, not being marina fodder does have its downsides... While having a rum on the foredeck I sometimes feel kinda bad about not making rich people richer (I am after all a compassionate kind of guy). I've also noticed, since I quit using marina showers, I no longer come down with the various athlete's foot fungus from hell that seemed to be part and parcel of the marina experience which in turn has deprived various medical services and pharmacies of a serious chunk of my hard earned money (I'm pretty sure my not staying at marinas has kept at least one doctor from getting that new BMW in a timely manner) and to be truthful, I kinda miss that glow in the dark vermillion and purple mold that used to grow under my toenails...

Listening to Drive By Truckers

So it goes...