Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Need/want and watermakers...

Lefsetz on the passing of the Big Man, North American Sailor plays catchup and ponders what our French cousins have known for years, and Jimmy Carter makes a whole lot of sense...

The response to yesterday's post on water frugality was, while not exactly surprising, a little depressing. Apparently, I've got it all wrong and the answer is not a sensible use of water but instead the purchase of a big honking watermaker.

Throw money at it...

I won't bother to go into why that's a bad idea (the throwing money at things) because if you have been on station for any length of time you'd already know that here at cheapseats central we never ever think throwing money at things is a good idea and if you have indeed missed that point... Well the words "bag of hammers" does come to mind.

As it happens, I don't have an issue with the idea of a watermaker aboard "So It Goes" and have flirted with building my own and am the first to admit I keep a a keen eye on used gear boards for a good deal on a used Power Survivor 80 (for my money it is just about the perfect compromise between power use and capacity and fits in with our rather frugal water need perfectly)...


So, while open to the idea of a watermaker and even willing to spend a bit of money if needful, but whenever I do the need/want calculation it always bounces back that as much as I may want a watermaker I simply do not need one.

So, by all means, if your desire to have a watermaker passes your need/want test, I don't see any reason not to have one... It just never does for me.


Listening to Ray Wylie Hubbard

So it goes...