Friday, April 08, 2011

What goes through the mind...

Yesterday while putting the still-deflatable deflatable back into the water (I've apparently slowed down the leakage to an acceptable level but somewhere there still lurks a leak to be found) and getting ready to run and do errands, I discovered the outboard was simply not going to start...

I've never been much of a fan of internal combustion engines at the best of times but when they need repairing it is pure unadulterated hate. So color me not in the best of moods...

Luckily a Tohatsu 5HP is not a hard motor to work on and running through the various possible causes can be done without removing the motor from the transom, no rocket science involved...

An hour later, we were all sorted out having taken off the carb a couple of times, dismantled it once, replaced the spark plug before we discovered that the problem was bad fuel, purged the system and hey presto we were once again mobile if somewhat smelling like I had taken a bath in gasoline.

I do find that I get a sense of clarity when doing jobs I really dislike and a few profound thoughts and musings...

...What's that about the Chinese banning time travel stories... I would not have to be doing this if a had a proper rowing dinghy... Hmmm, that boat that just anchored has an old style Windpilot self steering gear, cool... Is Spam and Velveeta really such a bad thing...

Listening to Weezer

So it goes...