Monday, April 25, 2011

Speaking of hard times...

It may have come to a few readers notice that from time to time I read the news and it makes me, well, umm... grumpy. Some have even written and pointed out that I should cut back on the politics/Mr Grumpy thing as it does not have anything to do with sailing. It does, however, have lots to do with hard times.

That said, a recent scan of the news and current commentary (depressing and gee whiz) has me looking for  some serious escapism so I read "Agincourt" by Bernard Cornwell (also a writer of sailing yarns from time to time) and it was a great read but hardly the stuff to make me feel better about the worlds sliding to hell in a supercharged jet propelled wicker basket. On the other hand, it did get me thinking about the apparent handiness of having a poleaxe or two aboard...

The thing is, politics does have a lot to do with cruising and sailing as right now we are giving a lot of thought to where we plan to hunker down for "H" season and politics (spelled taxes, fees and crime) has a lot to do with it...

In the meantime, instead of dwelling on depressing political reality (ooh yuck!) I'm happy to say I found a really cool post on adding more speakers (Small Boat Projects rocks!) to our cockpit to share my collection of Captain Beefheart with folks brave enough to anchor nearby...

Listening to Trout Mask Replica

So it goes...