Wednesday, March 23, 2011

You might want to redefine your definition of safety...

Being that I just had two donuts and am only mid-caffeinated, I really am not ready to get too much into bloggish wonkdom...

So what better time to point out a pet peeve of mine which is where people define a given boat or design as blue water or something less capable.

Now I get that some boats are better for cruising or living aboard than others, some are faster or slower, some carry a load better and some don't... But what I don't get is that some folks think a boat is safe to coastal cruise or island hop but not to cross an ocean. In my basic boat thinking it's a whole lot more simple: a boat is either safe or unsafe.

Now, maybe it's just me, but I have no desire at all to go off for a daysail on a boat that is not safe and able to keep me afloat and sailing in whatever conditions I might find myself in. Imagine if folks gave advice regarding cars like they do with cruising boats.

The Chevy is an OK car but I wouldn't drive cross country in it. Best to keep to just going to the store and suchlike but on the highway you'd die... Now, on the other hand, that Lexus is a real highway machine...
Fact is, I tend to cringe whenever someone even brings up the phrase "Blue water" in a boat description these days where it concerns safe cruising. I'll be the first to admit that there are many boats I would prefer not to sail a blue water passage on, and yes it is true that not all boats are built as well as they should be, but the bottom line is that if a boat is not safe enough to do a blue water passage it is also not safe enough to do coastal cruising either.

Need more coffee now!

Listening to Son borinqueno

So it goes...