Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The real trouble with cruising...

I often feel just a little out of step with a lot of cruising folk as what they perceive as being problems and suchlike I take in stride, while things I see as seriously problematic they simply don't get...

For instance, wannabee cruisers often write and ask how can they survive without their favorite mayonnaise, will they be able to find a rigger to pay silly money to in the back of beyond Caribbean, and how to find the perfect (insert whatever product here) because they require the perfect (insert whatever here again). Truth is, most of the questions we get at Boat Bits are not about sailing or skills involved in sailing/repairing/building boats but instead questions involved with "how can I continue my consumer existence with minimal withdrawal".

Which I simply don't get... I have never had a thirst to go out and spend money and one of the things that attracted me to cruising was that it took me away from the madness ashore and recreational spending...

Which is not to say that I don't miss things from time to time and if there is one downside to cruising as I see it is that I miss movies and the cruising grounds, for the most part are something of desert where cinema is concerned.

Movies of the real sort where you buy a ticket and watch a film, which is not to be confused with watching something on a DVD or (even worse) seeing a film on an iPhone/iPod or YouTube... It's not the same in the way that looking at a postcard of the Mona Lisa is not the same as seeing the painting.


I've been waiting over a year for the new Luc Besson film to come out and more than likely the only way I'd be able to see it down here in the Caribbean is to try and catch it Martinique or Puerto Rico in the few days it might actually play, then again I doubt the timing would actually work out so I will have to wait another six months to be able to get the DVD and see a pale shadow filmic postcard...



Bummer.

Listening to Felix and Leslie 

So it goes...