Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Just like the other guy two step, or getting your freak on...

There are times when you find yourself saying silly stuff...

"I'm the white boat out in the anchorage with the blue sail-covers"
Only to realize as you say it, that you've just described all forty or so boats in the anchorage who ALL have blue sail covers and are white! Which, when you think about it, is some kind of odd considering that boat folk tend to think of themselves as stone cold individualists who walk a different path...
"No way I'm like other guys, I'm a sailor"
...Who just happens to have the exact same paint scheme as everybody else. To a certain extent you might consider that a certain nautical God, Nathanael G. Herreshoff once said...
"There are only two colors to paint a boat, black or white, and only a fool would paint a boat black".
Then again he also hated fiberglass and said it looked like "frozen snot" so he can't be the problem...

When I wrote in the blog about doing up "So It Goes" with a dazzle paint job I got a load of mail telling me I can't, that it would be akin to a crime against nature, and that a single dazzle paint job just might bring on something truly horrible (a zombie apocalypse perhaps?) and end the world as we know it...

Now I'll admit that (while not being all that smart) I'm no fool so I am certainly not going to paint my boat black, but do you really think doing up a boat in some color scheme other than white is really going to tilt the earth off it's bearing?

Did this?


Or this?


So do what you will... Get your freak on and be creative! Scandalizing the neighbors can be a good thing!

How does a James Burton Telecaster motif grab you?

Listening to The GREAT Dave Davies... "I'm Not Like Everybody Else"

So it goes...