Sunday, June 27, 2010

The madness lies just below the surface...

I've been reading "Under the Dome" by Stephen King which is both a book that is almost impossible to put down and scary to pick up... A very good book.

Like most of King's really good stuff it deals hyper close to reality and simply uses the supernatural stuff to set the stage and lets the real horror stuff be generated by normal folks and the release of the madness that lies just beneath most peoples skins.

Who needs zombies and creepy crawlies when you live in a world where cops Taser an 86- year old disabled woman in her bed (twice) and six- year old little girls are placed on the terrorist no-fly list... It's like the madness is just itching to get out and everywhere you look there are small instances of batshit stuff going down. So many, in fact, that it has simply become normal.

Much like the oil which is still spewing in the gulf, which has now become somewhat boring to most and simply... normal. Maybe before it all simply goes down the memory hole (Gee, I wonder why the beaches are black) everyone should read How You Can Actually Help With the Gulf Oil Spill (but probably won’t.) as it really nails it in a big way.

As for me... When I finish "Under the Dome" I'll go back and read a zombie story (Walking Dead Volume 12 ) because I can deal with zombies and they don't scare me half as much as the craziness I read in every newspaper I pick up these days.