Wednesday, April 07, 2010

To wheelhouse or not...

I've never been a big fan of pilot or wheelhouses for a variety of reasons. The first and foremost for me is that on a sailboat when you are sailing there is no better wind instrument than the combined power of the human senses. Lock yourself into a climate controlled box and you lose a whole lot of needful input.

Even at my Luddite worst, I'll have to admit that modern wind instruments are pretty good but they still don't give you that edge that actually being in the elements do and it is a whole lot more than just wind speed and direction...

Most people don't mention it much but sound is a powerful indicator of wind. The subtle change in the sound of the breeze or rig often allows you to know what the wind is about to do before it reaches your boat.

For that matter, the ability to smell a slight change in the atmosphere whether it be a whiff of seaweed that was not there before or that slight hint of ozone that signals a squall is needful input that makes the brain a better indicator than even the most advanced wind indicator...

Of course, having hand steered for hours in cold and wet downpours, squalls and full on storms, the appeal of a warm and dry pilot house does not escape me (I might be a quasi-Luddite but I'm not that dumb). More than once I have admired the idea (more often than not when wet and cold) of a wheelhouse but then when later on a sunny day, always decided against them simply because... well, in most cases they looked dorky.

Not so in the new Simplicity wheelhouse version drawing from Mark Smaalders... The wheelhouse really fits into the design and no dorkiness in sight! It looks good! Fact is, if we were to build this boat I'd most likely use the overall design of the wheelhouse but leave off the sides and back to make a very integrated looking hard dodger which would still give my various senses the ability to better mesh with my environment as well as offer a reasonable amount of protection from the elements.