Sunday, April 04, 2010

The almost perfect boat saw...

Some time ago I talked about my desire for a table saw and how a table saw and other bench tools were some kind of problematic...

Skil just came out with a specialized flooring saw for doing... well, flooring! To say I am in some kind of lust with this tool would be an understatement as it combines the functions of a table and miter saw in a very small, portable and affordable package... What's not to like?

Well, since it is limited to dealing with planks that are eight inches or less and no thicker than 3/4 inch. Not a problem if you are doing hardwood flooring but a bit problematic for most boatbuilding stock.

That said, the geometry of the unit is very cool and I hope that some enterprising person or company will do an upsize on it to allow for at least two by stock. In the meantime, this could still be a very neat tool to have on board and would lend itself to a great many boat projects... Color me seriously tempted!