Monday, November 23, 2009

My Xmas list... Just part of the big guitar want!


I've never been much of a hollow body electric guitar person. Having picked up a Gibson Melody Maker way back when, I have always been firmly in the solid body camp.

Fact is, there are only two hollow body electrics I lust after...

There has always been something about Bo Diddley and his somewhat refined cigar box guitars... To say I want one is some kind of an understatement! I mean seriously, how can you not NEED this guitar?

When push comes to shove on "So It Goes" and the night watch mixes come on the iPod, I'm afraid the sailing Muzak folks like Jimmy Buffet take a back seat to Bo and his patented beat!


The other  guitar is the Gretsch White Falcon... Again, how can you not lust after this guitar?

Both Steve Stills and Neil Young have played them over the years and I first remember seeing Buffalo Springfield with Stills and Young do dueling guitars at the Whiskey in LA that left every guitar player in the audience poleaxed! For my money, the guitar playing combo of Stills and Young is akin to the writing of Lennon and McCartney as they are both so good and yet so different they reached some kind of nirvana when they played together... Of course, a lot of Stills and Young have found their way onto my various Nightwatch playlists...

Man I need a bigger boat...