Saturday, July 11, 2009

Good news and a sad reflection


I just recently heard that Spike Africa has been having lot of work done and is now in Friday Harbor. Bought by Schooners North, I'm guessing that the plan is for Spike Africa to be a daysailer...

A long time ago I promised myself if I ever built a schooner that it would be named "Stone County Road" after the John Stewart song "Pirates of Stone County Road" which for me is the sailing song that tugs the heart strings and takes me back to those days when I was a kid dreaming of sailing further to strange and wonderful places.

John Stewart was a huge influence on my life from the moment my Mom brought home that first Kingston Trio record. His songwriting is the standard I hold all songs up to. Over the years he has written so many great songs that it is almost impossible to point at any one song or album as they all have that special something and the songs of John Stewart have always been my moral compass. They still are...

Sadly, John Stewart died last year...