Saturday, October 14, 2006

BTYQ... NOT!

As it turns out the following post was incorrect and the NRS jacket that I was so impressed with had such a severe zipper problem that the gear is simply not up to the standards required for people using boats in anything but the most benign weather... See new post here!

A while back I was ranting on the overpriced and under-performing foul weather gear that passes itself off as state of the art these days from all of the usual suspects. I knew there had to be a better way, and folks I'm happy to say I've found a great source in NRS for excellent foul weather gear at almost scary prices...

This gear is extremely well designed. It's light and the range of movement means that you can actually do the job at hand (sailing the boat) without fighting the foul weather gear in the process. I guess this comes from the fact that the design is for a paddling jacket and sea kayakers need to be able to... paddle.

The attention to detail in the construction is exceptional and for a jacket with a retail price of $160 it just rocks! Maybe we should coin a phrase and call it Better Than Yacht Quality... BTYQ!

Shipping was fast and NRS has a great Boat Bucks program, plus free shipping on next order... stuff that a lot of companies could take some pointers from.

The bad side is that NRS sent me a catalog with my order and there are lots of neat things inside just perfect for us sailboat folk... More on that later.