Monday, September 19, 2005

WHICH HULL MATERIAL...

Materials... I'll be honest in that I like wood over glass, metal, ferro etc... We currently have a glass boat, but the last three boats before that were wood composite. I have built or repaired both steel and ferro so feel that I have a handle on the plus and minuses of all that we build boats with and, unless I find a great reason I am not currently aware of, my bet is that a wood composite will be in the cards for the next one...
Personally, I think it comes down to what material one feels comfortable... Steel is heavy and cutting it or welding it makes little holes in my pants (plus I have to wear pants which is a pain cause I am really more of a shorts kinda guy...) and then there is that "R" word (yeah I know that wood has its own "R" word but I never use it and just say "we might have a little soft wood here... take it from me "S” words are better than "R" words...). Glass is glass and no one enjoys working with the stuff and so on... But as the old adage goes "don't fix it if it ain't broke" and since we have had such good success with wood composite construction, we'll most likely stay with it unless some incredible plan shows up that calls for something else.